MGA is looking for an experienced Shop Manager to lead our Modelshop in Vancouver, working on both local and international projects, from architectural modelmaking and interactive public installations to creating prototypes of large cultural and commercial spaces.
Who we are:
MGA is an internationally recognized architecture and design firm creating innovative, sustainable projects that push the boundaries of technology and construction to benefit communities and environments around the world.
Our projects have won over 50 awards, including Architizer’s Best in North America in 2021 and 2022, four Governor General’s medals, two RAIC Innovation Awards and the American Insitute of Architects Innovation Award.
Our talented team have completed some of the most significant timber buildings in the world and are working on both small and large – and always interesting – projects here and internationally – from Google’s first mass timber development in Sunnyvale, CA to a new cultural center in Gallivare, Sweden.
As designers, we have an ambitious obligation; it’s our job to reshape the quality and longevity of life on earth through the lens of design. We are committed to creating solutions that push boundaries. Our values are rooted in inclusive collaboration, evolution, community, and most simply – a love for our planet. This is an opportunity to be integrally involved in a team that is creating significant change in our industry.
Skills and experience for this role:
- Minimum of 5+ experience in architectural model-making over a broad range of project types.
- Expert level skills with various woodshop equipment and machinery related to models, with knowledge of millworking and finish carpentry a strong asset.
- Experience with CNC, laser cutter and 3d Printing machines.
- Ability to lead hands-on collaborative builds as part of our design teams, creating design models, presentation models, mock-ups, and other artefacts.
- Strong initiative as well as responsiveness to direction.
- Organizational skills and the ability to track versions of prototypes.
- Experience working with multidisciplinary project teams.
- Curiosity about sustainability and innovation in the built environment.
- Excellent working knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit and Sketchup with ability to translate them to digital production files.
- A collaborative spirit and willingness to share ideas and actively participate in group discussions.
- Great interpersonal communication skills, with fluency in English.
- Eagerness to promote a culture of learning and professional development.
- Valid work status in Canada.
Please submit a portfolio (or a link to it online) as well as a CV and any references in a single PDF to email@example.com. Please limit your attachment to 10mb.
MGA is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package (including an Adventure Bonus!) and the opportunity to grow with our team in a collaborative and fun environment. We are only accepting applications from candidates who can work with us in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
1535 West 3rd Avenue, Vancouver BC